CURRENT ENTRIES:

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Memoirs of Service: Harry K. Thomas, Jr.

Shortly before Ambassador Harry K. Thomas, Jr. left the Philippines I had the privilege of having lunch with him and other guests at De La Salle University. The occasion was his presentation to senior students as part of a lecture series organized by the International Studies Department. Rene de Castro reserved a function room for our lunch. Around the table were Ambassador Thomas, the chairs of the International Studies, Political Science, and History Departments, two senior honor students, the Ambassador's Aide, and a female intern from Holy Cross University.

After dessert Ambassador Thomas did something unusual. He said that he would ask a question of each one of us on our topics of expertise or interest, and that we each had all of 15 minutes to answer his question.

When it was my turn I was expecting a question related to literature, art, or heritage conservation. Instead the ambassador asked me to explain to everyone, in 15 minutes, why I organized the Spirit Questors and what we did during our visits.

I believe that I was able to answer his question well. Everyone around the table was unable to say anything afterward. A faculty member of the History Department later approached me and asked me where he could read further on the topic I addressed.

It pays to keep no secrets, and to be all of yourself, inclusive of its varied facets, at all times.

No comments: