CURRENT ENTRIES:

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Memoirs of Service: Nato Vega

He probably thinks I've forgotten him by now but, the truth is, I never will.

Nato Vega was an admin clerk in the office I worked in. He was one of the few who knew that I could do magic and work spells. During break times he would tell me stories of his own experiences and similar goings-on in his hometown and his neighborhood.

He once found a dead bat in the office, immersed it in alcohol, sealed it in a plastic bag, and gave it to me as a gift. I appreciated that gift very much--I re-immersed it in formaldehyde at home, hoping it would be preserved forever, though, sadly, it eventually decomposed. It enabled me to study the anatomy of wings, which I later applied to drawing angels' wings (and wings of other creatures of course, bwahahahahahaha!).

Nato's greatest gift to me was not only his friendship but the gorgeous skin of a nine-foot python that he and his neighbors once caught in the subdivision they lived in. He had the skin carefully peeled off, cured, and rolled. I had it mounted and framed by an old friend, Philip Bordey of Gallery Frames. The framing was equally gorgeous. The python skin was attached to a black, wooden support by means of studs. I was, however, charged an arm and a leg for what framers call "extra glass", meaning, glass larger than the standard sizes. I still have that framed python skin in my studio. I will neither sell it nor give it away for anything in this world. I believe, for one thing, that it is one of my sources of magical power.

After 15 years of service Nato emigrated to the United States, taking his wife and children with him. He kept in touch with me during the nine years or so that I was on facebook. After I moved from facebook to Google+ I never heard from him again.

I hope that he is happy and well.

No comments: